ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 “Information Technology Service Management Part 1: Service Management Requirements” was delivered on 15 September 2018, and is set to take over from ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011. Any company that wants to continue with the ISO 20000-1 will have to move to the revised standard within a stipulated period. The overall period is three years, from September 2018 through September 2021. During this period of transition, both the ISO 20000-1 standard are valid. The plans implemented would also be valid for both.
Benefits of ISO 20000 Certificate
This certification specifies requirements for a company to establish, implement, maintain, and continuously improve a Service Management System (SMS). The certification requires you to have a proper plan and design as you aspire to deliver goods and services. It will help you identify points for improvement.
ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 is based on Annex SL - the new ISO high-level structure (HLS) that brings a similar structure to all management systems.
Few predictable profits of ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 includes :
- Brings service management and service delivers to the heart of your business: The upgraded standard helps ensure that service management is executed and aligned with the business plans of your company. This strategic focus results in increasing the performance of your service management system (SMS), making it more effective for you and your customers.
- Changing trends in service management are tracked: Service management and service delivery are changing regularly. The international standard needed to permit for today’s and tomorrow’s trends should be adhered to apply to ISO/IEC 20000-1. The requirements now focus on what to do and not how to do it. Receiving the standard is possible through various methods with ISO/IEC 20000-1. The services get commoditized, which means that it’s not always possible, or desirable, to agree on all points with customers.
- Less prescriptive documentation: The upgrade has lowered the need for documentation and procedures which will provide more flexibility, making it easy to apply to any service management system.
- Enables execution of management systems: There is also a high-level structure that is available, which would apply to the new standards system. This makes it easy to implement and executable.
- Allows a smooth transition from the 2011 version to the new revised edition: The amount of effort and investment in your existing service management system does not go to waste. There is a clear transition path. Both pre-existing and new requirements are both there.
This certification can be used by:
- A provider of advice or training in system management.
- Any customer who wants to feel reassured about the quality of the product or service.
- A company to monitor, measure and review its service management system and the services.
- A company to determine its capability for the planning, design, transition, delivery, and enhancement of services.
- Any customer who wants to see consistency in the lifecycle of the services provided would also look for this certification.
- A company to improve planning, design, transition, delivery, and enhancement of services through effective execution and operation of a service management system.
How to Register for ISO 20000 Certification?
The ISO accreditation measures contain a couple of principle steps, like applying, the survey of reports, and the definite inspecting methodology. The steps or the phases that are a part of completing the ISO certification issuance process are
The candidate needs to fill in an application for the registrar after selecting a proper ISO accreditation for a product or business.
Includes an exhaustive assessment by auditor on the existing and improved quality controls, covering the detections of non-conformances.
Document Required for ISO Certification
2. GST Registration
3. MSME Registration
2. Two Purchase Invoices
2. Visiting Card
How We Help
The updated standard has new requirements mainly on aspects like delivery and planning. Some terms got deleted from sections in the latest edition. It also got updated to be easily applicable.
All audits completed until March 2020 would require compliance with ISO 20000:2011, and those submitted beyond that would require compliance with the new standard.
Management Commitment Targets: There should be a clear definition of service management goals defined at different levels. There must also be panning strategies in place, which focus on managing risk and on seizing opportunities.
Awareness: Workers must be aware of their contribution to service management system performance and delivery of services.
Process Management: An organization must document its service management system and processes, manage and continuously enhance them. The measures implemented by third parties must be controllable.
According to the information Technology Infrastructure, a provider can help with the introduction of service management. Generally, it is not required.
Most importantly, the new standard introduces a new High-Level Structure (HLS) compliant to different management system standards. It will make it easy for companies to get certifications for several ISO Standards, such as ISO 9001 (quality management).
“Terms and Definitions” are also upgraded and revised under the new standard. It now has terms referring to specific management system standards, including a reference to the terms and definitions found in ISO/IEC 20000-10. A range of clauses got added or upgraded to reflect the growing trends in service management.
The changes will have no direct impact on your existing certification until the Official transition. The transition period is of 18 months after publication. As of 31 March 2020, the new standard would define the basis of the audit.
Yes, with the help of GAP analysis, we can jointly clarify some questions:
Are there necessary changes to make in the company?
Do I need training?
Should I adapt the organizational documents or the credentials of the management system?